The best receipt scanner and organizer for sole proprietors and independent contractors
- 2-for-1 service: receipt scanning and expense tracking
- Outsource receipt scanning and manual data entry
- Automatically sorts receipts into 15 tax categories
- Reduce audit-risk with IRS-accepted receipt scans
- Add your accountant or bookkeeper to your account
4 Built-in Benefits for Managing Receipts
How Shoeboxed systematically scans and organizes your receipts
A user sends in paper receipts using the Magic Envelope service, uploads them digitally to their Shoeboxed account, or imports receipts with the Gmail plugin. Receipt data is then extracted using our AI tech, and a team of data entry specialists goes through each receipt entry to check, correct errors, and verify the accuracy of the extracted data.
As your data is processed and verified by the Shoeboxed team, it is automatically assigned 1 of 15 tax categories. This systematized approach to receipt organization ensures speedy expense report creation and easy totaling of categories during tax season.
Solopreneurs, independent contractors, and sole proprietors with a variety of projects and project expenses can drill down even further, and tag expenses with a project name or any other category name they wish to assign, making it even easier to see expense totals based on any category you wish to track.
Talent agency director estimates $1500 monthly value with Shoeboxed
"I was like, I don't think I need this, and then [my bookkeeper] said, 'Listen, it's always good to have extra documentation if you ever get questions about your costs and you need to show proof.' So I said I'd do it. And it was definitely a good choice."... Read more
Frequently asked questions
If you’re looking to streamline your receipt organization for tax season by digitizing your receipts, you may be wondering—will the IRS accept your receipt scans? Can receipt scans legally support your tax write-offs when filing taxes?
The quick answer: Receipt scans are 100% legitimate and approved by the IRS. In fact, the IRS has accepted scanned and digitized receipts as valid tax records for tax deductible purposes since 1997.
However, receipt scans must meet specific requirements to be eligible.
According to the IRS, digital or scanned receipts must meet the following requirements:
- Digital versions of receipt scans are completely identical to their original versions.
- Each receipt scan must exhibit a high degree of legibility and readability.
- You must be able to produce hard copies (print-outs) of the scanned receipts in the event of an IRS audit.
- Scanned documents must be stored in a secure place.
If you can ensure your scanned receipts are properly stored and backed up as digital files in a filing system that allows for easy retrieval, and you can reproduce hard copies from the digital versions in a legible, readable format, you may dispose of the original receipts.
See “Rev. Proc. 97-22 (Recordkeeping – Electronic Storage System),” IRS.gov.
Every account comes with an unlimited number of users. If you would like, we can also make sub-accounts for any members of your staff to keep their receipts separate from your main account.
Shoeboxed’s receipt scanning app and receipt scanning software integrate with a wide range of accounting software, including Quickbooks Online. For a full list of accounting software integrations, go here.
Our standout receipt scanner feature is that we will scan physical receipts on your behalf. This makes our receipt scanner for business owners a great alternative to a document scanner. Simply send your receipts to our processing facility in a prepaid envelope, and we do the rest. Your receipts will be OCR (optical character recognition) scanned and uploaded to your account—without you having to do any of the data entry.
There are multiple ways for users to scan receipts into their Shoeboxed account.
- Mail your receipts to our processing facility for free with a pre-paid envelope from us, then we’ll scan them into your Shoeboxed account.
- Download our receipt scanner app from the Apple store or Google Play for quick uploads on the go.
- Forward emails to the designated Shoeboxed address and any receipts sent will appear in your Shoeboxed account.
- Install our custom Gmail plugin to auto-import digital receipts to the Shoeboxed dashboard.
- Upload receipts to your Shoeboxed account from your laptop or desktop using the drag-and-drop method.
You can try Shoeboxed without any charge for 30 days to test the service. If you then choose to cancel your subscription at any time during the month, you will not be billed. If you opt for an annual plan and decide to cancel within the first 30 days, you will be refunded fully.
Our prices are comparable to the best apps that scan receipts; our Digital Only plan starts at just $4.99 a month (available in-App) and is more affordable than Expensify, Rydoo, Dext Prepare, Neat Receipts, and many other services in the same bracket.
The Startup plan at $29 per month is perfect for independent contractors and small business owners, offering 50 digital and 25 physical documents per month with unlimited users and unlimited storage.
The Professional plan is ideal for professionals and small businesses, with 150 digital and 150 physical documents, unlimited prepaid magic envelopes, unlimited document returns, unlimited file storage and Quickbooks Online integration.
The Business plan is great for companies that need to manage a high volume of customers or purchases, with 300 digital and 300 physical documents, unlimited prepaid magic envelopes, unlimited document returns, unlimited cloud storage, unlimited users and Quickbooks Online integration. An annual plan is also available at a 20% discount for those who want the best value for a receipt scanner.
- Mail-in scanning service
- OCR scanning with human data verification
- Satisfy tax audit criteria with Shoeboxed’s receipt scanning platform
- Totaling of categories in just a few seconds
- Scan, organize, and manage expenses all in one place
- Add unlimited users to your account
- Digital image archive and document management system
- Unlimited cloud storage of scanned paper documents, digital documents, digital receipts, smart receipts, paper receipts, etc.
- Customizable receipt category tags and rules
- Export receipt details to well-known accounting software
- Track mileage for free for iOS and Android users
- Store and organize business cards
- Scan images from our iOS or Android mobile app
- Automatically convert currencies
- 24/7 monitoring of entry points at our processing facility for physical receipts & documents
- SSL encryption for digital documents and data
- 20% discount when billed annually
Software that can read text that has been captured in an image is referred to as Optical Character Recognition (OCR). This enables us to take the line items from an image and convert them into text. This information can then be used to fill in fields in accounting software or digital filing systems. Before settling on a receipt scanner, make sure it has the OCR feature.